31 January 2008

The Cleanse - Day 5: Oh my kale!!

We're still going strong. And when I say "we" I am referring to me and my colon. This is actually a lot easier than I thought it would be - once you get past the mental block of not being able to eat salty snacks for a month.

Last night I discovered a new vegetable that I love - Kale. I've never eaten it before. In fact, when the doctor said that was one of the veggies that we should eat a lot of at dinners I asked, "What is kale?"

Turns out that it's a lot like chard/spinach. I cut off the stocks, then sauteed it in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, lemon pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. I ate it with a little fresh lemon juice squeezed on it. It was absolutely delightful.

Today as I was putting together my salad for lunch, I was thinking of salad dressings (since I can only use balsamic vinegar or lemon/lime juice) and remembered how nice a good raspberry vinaigrette was. I thought, hmmm, why don't I make my own fruity flavored vinaigrette? So, I mixed some olive oil in with the balsamic vinegar, and then put blueberries in the salad. It was awesome. I think it was my favorite salad so far. I'm going to have to get various kinds of berries to garnish my salad with. I think even better would be to puree the berries into a liquid and then mix that juice with the balsamic vinegar.

1 comment:

Romulus said...

Yummmm... I like veggies!