22 June 2007

Concert Review: The Police

$100 is what it cost to attend the greatest concert event I have ever been to in my life.

I've been to a lot of shows, living here in LA and being the music fanatic that I am. I have seen a lot of big, great bands (and the great big ones too). I have seen many, many small, great bands. Some are wonderful. Some are not so.

The Police were more than I ever expected.

When Lenny Kravitz made the comment that rock and roll is dead, he wasn't kidding. I realized that tonight. The sheer genius musicianship of the three men on stage made me feel repulsed towards most of the music I listen to on the radio these days. They are all virtuoso musicians in every sense of those words. Guitar, bass and drums. Simple instrument setup. Complex rhythms and chord progressions. Perfect. Flawless execution of the songs for 2 hours. I nearly wet myself. I think I could refer to it as a "musicgasm".

I imagine that is what it was like to sit in the room and hear Beethoven or Mozart tickle the ivories.

5 comments:

Craig said...

Yeah, I LOVE Sting! And I'm soooooo jealous!

playasinmar said...

UH-oh. You just slipped into the young-whipper-snappers-and-their-awful-music phase.

Quickly: Buy a motorcycle! Maybe, just maybe you can salvage some youth with a Yamaha sport bike.

:)

Sean said...

Musicgasms are amazing! I love going to concerts because it makes me fall in love with the band even more!

Sean said...

my coworker got to go to the concert. so not fair!

Original Mohomie said...

I love that word: musicgasm. Beautiful. I'm happy for you. We mohos gotta get all the -gasms we can legally get 'cause... well... y'know.