06 November 2007

Hello pot, I'm kettle

So, one thing I complain about more and more is people making slurs about "gay" around me. These are people that I am not out to, and when they make reference to something that they don't like as being "gay" it kind of stabs me on the inside. It makes me mad, and I dislike them a little more every time I hear it. I think to myself of what a terrible person they are for not being tolerant of other people. Blah, blah, blah.

I'm a hypocrite.

Today at work, I was reviewing some documents with a coworker. He has two mentally disabled children. While reviewing the document it became apparent that the person who wrote it probably should not have been in charge of writing it - there was some really lame stuff written in it. I made the comment, "The person who wrote this is completely retarded." Yeah. I used the "retarded" slur in front of someone who has two retarded children.

Three hours later when I realized what I had done, I felt like an ass.

3 comments:

GeckoMan said...

How could you do this? I mean, slur one of the most beautiful and sensitive creatures on the planet. Of course I'm referring to my sweet equine friend, the donkey. I'll try not to hold it against you.

Marlo said...

You're only a hypocrite if, while expecting others to be sensitive, you continue to use language you know is insensitive . At least you did (1)recognize the mistake and I'm assuming you will (2)attempt to ensure you don't repeat that one. That's two areas many people never care enough to get.

Kengo Biddles said...

I guess you could go and apologize...